Museum Crush is Culture24’s collaborative online storytelling platform designed to help smaller museums explore innovative ways of sharing stories about their collections.
Museum Crush delivers a regular email digest sharing new museum stories to an email list of over 13,000 subscribers. The stories are also published on museumcrush.org and shared via our social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Since launch in April 2017 we have been working with everyone from museum volunteers to curators to tell collection-based stories. We invite museum people – whether they are volunteers or professionals – to work with us on features that bring alive the objects we encounter in the UK’s museums. Museum Crush stories can be about a single object or a wider collection, but they always have a strong visual narrative.
In 2018 Museum Crush won the Gold MUSE Award for Online Presence awarded by the American Alliance of Museums, who said: “Museum Crush pushes the museum field forward in sheer human effort, in service to the wider museum field, and spotlights important, if lesser heard stories.”
Here are some of the ways we can help you:
- We can feature your collection, as we have been doing for the past three years, by interviewing you about an object or series of objects. We will do most of the work and send the article back to you for sign off and revisions.
- We can guest curate your collection like we did here with Brighton Museum’s collection of photos either by using Commons photos or a themed selection of them signed off by you.
- We can write and publish previews and backgrounders of exhibitions that have been delayed or postponed, to offer a ‘virtual version’ of exhibitions that are now behind closed doors.
- We can publish your own written articles about your collections on Museum Crush.
- We can republish your blog posts as guest/taster content that links back to your own website or museum blog.
- We can feature your virtual tours and other digital outputs in our popular round ups that are thematic or focus on local and non-national museums.
- We can feature your website as a recommended online visit in our Museum Crush email digest.
If you have a story to tell, perhaps a different perspective on an object in your museum, or simply want the chance to share your museum collection, talk to us to explore the options.
For all editorial enquiries contact editor Richard Moss by email on firstname.lastname@example.org